Ever After Gown – Part 4

Sewing the lining for the underskirt. As you can see I did a stellar job cutting out these pattern pieces on the line.

EA_sewing_lining

 

And sewing the overskirt. This took FOREVER, and I unfortunately forgot an entire piece, and then I also forgot to leave a seam open in the back for the zipper!  ARGH!

EA_sewing_overskirt

 

Then a miracle occurred…

No, kidding. I just forgot to take pictures because I was too stressed out. The last steps were (1) sewing the overskirt to the underskirt, (2) sewing the skirt to the bodice, and (3) sewing the zipper. Since the zipper traveses the green skirt and the gold bodice, I had to use green thread on the bottom half of the zipper and then gold thread on the top half. Very glad I remembered this before I started sewing the zipper!

Here’s the finished gown from front, side and back:

EA_frontEA_sideEA_back

And here’s a side-by-side comparison of my gown with the Ever After gown that inspired it:

EA_comparison

Ever After Gown – Part 3

Finally finished the sleeves! Yay!

EA_finished_sleeve_too_tight

I screwed something up cutting up out these pieces because the sleeves barely fit.  See how tight they are, especially around the elbow? Ah well, time to seam rip and widen.

I ended up adding a thin strip of gold fabric down the entire length. I debated covering that strip with the same green velvet and red trim but decided I liked it better plain. Here’s how it looked:

EA_widened_sleeves_underside

I had to widen the armhole too. Since I didn’t want to widen the entire side of the bodice, I added a triangular piece of gold fabric:

EA_widen_armhole_beforeEA_widen_armhole_after

Here’s me wearing the finished bodice with sleeves. Cute, right?

EA_bodice_with_sleeves

Next up is the underskirt and underskirt lining. This is just a giant 6-piece circle skirt, so I won’t bore you with the details. But just for kicks, here’s a pic of me sewing the shiny gold dupioni:

EA_sewing_underskirt

 

And here’s me wearing the skirt and bodice unattached. The skirt is pinned in the back right now because a zipper needs to go there, and I can’t add the zipper until I finish the underskirt with lining and then sew the overskirt to the underskirt. Fun times ahead, yo.

EA_bodice_underskirt_unsewn

Ever After Gown – Part 2

Ok, I finally got started on this gown!  Here’s a pic of the pattern when it arrived about a month ago:

EA_pattern

I started by cutting out about 50 pattern pieces, which took me two weeks on & off.  The bodice alone has 9 pattern pieces, and since I need to cut facing, interfacing and lining, that was 27 right there!  Here’s a pic of me getting started on the cutting.  I decided to go with a green velvet instead of purple, because it looked better against the gold.

EA_cutting_overskirt

I had to be careful ironing the interfacing to the bodice pieces, because the silk dupioni tends to crinkle under high heat and steam.  There are still wrinkles there that I haven’t figured out how to get rid of. Here’s the beginning of the bodice, with some red trim I found that looked absolutely divine against the gold and green fabrics:

EA_sewing_bodice

And here, many many hours later, is the finished bodice, front and back:

EA_finished_bodice EA_finished_bodice_back

I’m not sure what went wrong when I cut out the pattern pieces, but as you can see from the back view, the pieces were uneven even though I matched the notches perfectly. Oh well, There’s a reason why I cut them out a bit bigger than the pattern.

the thing that really bugged me was that the green collar was uneven. See how the right side is narrower and ends a bit higher than the left side.  Well, after a bit of puzzling, I decided to hand sew the left side to be just as narrow and high as the right side.  Here are a few pics:

photo 1 photo 2 photo 3

And the finished bodice, with even collars:

photo 4

Next up – the sleeves!  These are of gold dupioni with green velvet accents and red trim.  Now, the green velvet was supposed to be puffy, but the velvet fabric was so thick and the dupioni so thin, I didn’t see a good way to affix the velvet puffs to the sleeve in a manner that wouldn’t rip the thread or eventually tear the sleeve.

EA_sleeves_cut

Here’s what the puffs would have looked like. I definitely needed stronger thread, because what I used ripped twice while I was trying to gather the velvet. That’s when I gave up.

EA_sleeve_puffs

More to come later!

Ever After Gown – Part 1

After scouring the web for a pattern similar to the green & gold Ever After gown worn by Anjelica Huston at the royal ball near the end of the film, I finally ran across McCall’s 3053.  This is strangely marketed as a bridal gown, but pattern option C looks almost identical to the gown, with the exception of a full train in back instead of the two separate draped pieces hanging down the back off each shoulder.  I don’t have enough purple velvet to make the train, so I’ll either omit it entirely or figure out a way to make the separate drapes.

Ever After gown:

DSC_1613DSC_1625

 

McCall’s 3053:

M3053

 

I originally wanted the purple velvet to go with the blue dupioni, but it turns out this pattern takes about 6 yards of dupioni and I only have 3 in the blue.  The only dupioni I have enough of is the gold, so it will be a purple and gold gown instead, which is a more traditional color pairing anyways.

Purple velvet & gold dupioni:

photo (7)

Ok, off to buy the pattern!  But first, here’s a fuzzy screenshot of Anjelica Huston wearing the gown:

devil01